Wednesday, February 2, 2011

A Christmas Visit with Grandma Peak 2010

Taylor and I went to visit my Grandma Peak on December 23, 2010. We had a nice little visit, like we always do. We were talking about our current economy and she shared some old stories with me. About in the 1940's when they had food rationing. They lived in Wisconsin at the time. Yes, the dairy state, where there was a time you could only buy real butter. She told me when they first were able to buy margarine, "Oleo", it was white. There would be an orange colored capsule in the packaging, so you could mix it and change the color to a yellow. It is so comforting to talk with my grandma, who has her priorities straight. Nice to know that over time, things can get better, because they have been bad before.
My grandma makes wonderful date bread. We had some of that too. She also let me have the angel I put in my tree. It was from her sister, Shirley, in Wisconsin.
On my grandma's last visit with her sister, Rosie, in California, they were making little ornaments. My grandma sews most everything by hand. She is not able to do much of that anymore. The little red and white square ornament on my tree is one of them they made during that visit together. I think that was her sister Rosie's last Christmas. I'm so glad we live close enough to visit my grandma. Taylor enjoys it too!

2 comments:

Paula said...

What a precious generation! We could learn so much from them!

Michelle said...

I know! I love hearing the old stories!