Sunday, April 10, 2011

Halloween at Disneyland 1996

On Splash Mountain with Matt, October 1996.
My fun adventure at Silver Rapids with Taylor reminded me of one of my favorite outings with Matt. We bought special tickets for Disneyland in 1996. When we lived in Southern California, we visited several of the amusement parks pretty regularly. I knew about "Knott's Scary Farm," which was not geared for young children, but I didn't realize Disneyland did anything special, until 1996. When we arrived in the evening, because there were special times for this event, there was a huge Mickey Mouse near the entrance, in the parking lot dressed as a Sorcerer, with the broom.
It was completely decorated with all the fall festivities you could think of such as huge pumpkins and hay bales, scare crows, etc. See the "invisible" horse pulling this coach.
Matt posing near some pumpkins, placed throughout the area. Unfortunately, this was before digital cameras, so I did not take as many pictures, and could not preview them either. How did we ever manage? :) I wish I had more pictures! One of the biggest pumpkins I have ever seen was at this trip to Disneyland, but I have no picture of it.
I think this was near New Orleans Square, where the band was playing.


As we passed through Main Street, towards the castle, several of the "wicked" ladies put on a little song and dance performance, you know, Cruella di Vil, Magnificent from Sleeping Beauty, the wicked Queen from Snow White, etc. It was fabulous.
Matt was nine at the time. This was one of my favorite outings with Matt. Disneyland had trick-or-treat stations set up throughout the park. So, while children were lined up to get candy, the longest line we waited in was 10 minutes for the Indiana Jones Ride. It was wonderful. We were able to run around all over the park and ride without waiting. It was not as crowded as a typical day at Disneyland and I loved the decor.
I have not been back to Disneyland since 2000, but I do have many wonderful memories from the many trips we had there from the 1970's with the tickets (remembr the E ticket ride) through 2000, just prior to the California Adventure park opening.
My leg looks wet in this picture. It must have been taken after Splash Mountain. I hope by time I get the opportunity to take Taylor to Disneyland, it still holds many of the wonderful memories I have, to share with her.

No comments: