Friday, April 13, 2012

Ice Skating, January 25, 2012

I remember my first time ice skating. My Uncle Steve made a small rink in his backyard. Once it was ready, I just stepped out on it and skated. I loved it! I actually thought it was easier than roller skating. Of course, I was 10 and was a very proficient roller skater, before I ever stepped onto the ice.
This was Taylor's very first time on the ice, she's five, and not a proficient roller skater, so this was a little scarier for her. I finally convinced her to get out there with me. We pretty much did this every time. I skated backwards and held her hands. The ice felt much harder and slicker than I remember, so I was okay with our slow pace. Anissa went out fearlessly as she is on roller skates, but Taylor was okay with our own routine of I skate backwards and hold her hands as we make our way around. We did have a brief break while the Zamboni came out, so we took some pictures with the clock tower behind us.
I did try to get her to hold the wall and feel a little more confident on her own, momentarily, but she didn't like that too much.
We went back to what we were doing and went around the rink about five times. It did take us awhile, were were going pretty slow.
Makenna wasn't too big on this either, so these two girls watched and played a bit. And, this is when Makenna tipped over and Taylor tried to catch her.
I stayed out with Makenna and Taylor so Lorinda and Melissa could do some actual skating.
Then we walked over for dinner to Red Robin, because they always love that.We would have taken them over to the carousel too, but it was closed for some repairs. See it there on the other side of the river, behind us.
Crossing the bridge to River Park Square.
After dinner, we got balloons at Nordstroms and walked around a bit, then had a treat. The little girls had cookies.
The big girls had our own table too, and I had a black and white coffee or mocha, but it was very tasty.
We walked back through the park (briskly) to our cars. This is the top of the canopy, all lit up.
It was a wonderful girls day out. We may try this ice skating stuff again...perhaps, next year.

No comments: